How to start an import and export business in Dubai, UAE
The business of import and export has been around for centuries. It is an industry that caters to the demand and supply of goods and commodities across jurisdictions and countries. Therefore, import export business licenses are much sought after. Import is a product or commodity brought into one country from another country. It is an export in the sending country. Export is a product or commodity sent out or transferred to another country. It is an import in the receiving country. This exchange of goods and commodities is also known as international trade.
International trade has played an important role in shaping the economy of the UAE. Its stable trade relations with several countries across the world and its support of open trade has made the UAE a key hub for international trade. This is why, starting an import and export business in Dubai is a popular business venture. All you need to do is connect with the business consultants at Shuraa, and we’ll guide you on how to get an import-export license in the UAE.
Import and export business is a thriving sector in the UAE due to the following reasons:
- UAE is one of the easiest places to start a business in
- It is strategically located between Asia, Europe, and the African continents
- Its central location allows for easy travel to and from anywhere across the world
- It is globally well-connected by both air and water routes
- It offers a great time zone that enables seamless co-ordination and trade with countries in the East as well as the West
Import and Export Business License in Dubai
Import-export companies need to apply for a trade license and register the import export company in Dubai. To do so, you will have to apply with the Department of Economic Development (DED).
What is the cost of an import-export license in Dubai?
Here’s the import-export license cost in Dubai for a few Emirates in the UAE:
- Dubai: The cost of Import Export License in Dubai will be around AED 24,000 onwards
- Sharjah: The cost of the license will be around AED 23,000 onwards
- Ajman: The cost of the license will be AED 24,000 (approx.)
- Ras Al Khaimah: The cost of the license will be AED 20,000 (approx.)
Note that these figures discussed for Dubai import-export license fees are estimated values and vary, depending on your specific business requirements and operational activities. The Dubai import-export license fees are dependent on the territory from which one is carrying out the business, as each authority has set its cost for obtaining the license.
Documents required to get an import-export license in Dubai
Submit the following documents to apply for an import and export business license:
- Trade name options
- Business activity
- Passport copies of all the shareholders
- UAE residence visa copy of the partner(s)
- Copy of entry stamp or visa page if the partner is on visit visa
- Passport copy and Emirates ID of local sponsor
How to get an import export license in Dubai
Applying for an import export business license involves the following steps in the UAE:
- Choose your business activity from DED’s list of activities
- Select the legal form (business structure)
The legal form of your business must match the activity undertaken by your company. It will be Limited Liability Company in this case.
- Select trade name and get approval for it from DED
You must submit at least 3 name options for your business.
- Apply for initial approval from DED
This approval signifies that the UAE Government does not object for your business to be established in the UAE. It is important to get this in order to proceed with the next steps.
- Prepare and sign the MOA or LSA Agreement
The partner(s) and the local sponsor (UAE National) must be present to sign the Memorandum of Association (MOA) or Local Service Agent (LSA) Agreement.
Note: Businesses owned completely by non-GCC residents require a local service agent.
*Due to travel restrictions during the current global pandemic, the MOA or LSA are signed electronically.
- Establish a business location
An office or shop rental agreement/tenancy contract must be provided.
- Get additional approvals, if any
This is dependent on the trading activity you choose.
- Pay the fees
A payment voucher will be issued to you.
- Collect the trade license
This can be collected either at DED’s service centres or online, through DED’s website.
You can go through the following checklist to know more about the Import and Export Business Opportunities in Dubai
Dubai Customs Registration
Dubai Customs is an important government agency that plays a key role in the import and export sector. Once you have received your commercial trade license from the Economic Department, you must register your import and export company with Dubai Customs. This registration is done to get a unique Customs Code. The Customs Code allocated to the import-export companies in Dubai must be submitted each time a company ships goods and commodities. The Customs Code allocated to your company must be submitted each time your company ships goods and commodities.
Consult with Shuraa for import-export business in Dubai
Starting an import and export business in Dubai can be rewarding both in terms of profitability and expansion opportunities. For more expert guidance on your business activity, getting an import-export business license, and learning about the UAE’s import and export formalities, contact Shuraa Business Setup today. Our experienced business setup consultants will answer all your business-related queries. Get in touch with Shuraa today to know more!
Book a free consultation with our experts and know more about the import-export license cost in Dubai or call +971 44081900. You can also send a WhatsApp message at +971 50 777 5554. For email assistance, mail your query at firstname.lastname@example.org.