Healthcare Professionals in Dubai need a DHA license to start their career and the required expertise to provide healthcare services to the residents in the Emirates, can avail a DHA license in Dubai from the Health Regulation Department (HRD) of Dubai Health Authority. Similarly, holding companies also need to avail a DHA license to set up healthcare facilities in the UAE.
Who can apply for DHA license in Dubai?
HRD, as some call it the DHA license agency in Dubai, has certain criterion for issuing permits.
Those providing traditional, alternative as well as complementary methods of treatment and healing qualify to apply for DHA license in Dubai. Below are some categories of the same:
- General practitioners – Physicians and dentists
- Allied health professionals – Nurses, midwives, pharmacists, physiotherapists
- Specialists and consultants
For healthcare facilities, however, their investors or delegated representatives are eligible to apply for the DHA license in Dubai.
How to get a DHA license in Dubai?
Documents required for individuals
Before you apply for a DHA license in Dubai, you have to keep some these documents handy:
- Passport-size photograph
- Copy of passport
- Educational qualification
- Experience certificates
- Practice license or registration
- Good Standing Certificate
- For surgeons, a two-year surgical logbook is required
Once you submit the application, you also need to submit your offer letter and malpractice insurance certificate from the company which is extending you the position
Procedure of professional license application
- Check eligibility with self-assessment tool
- Create ID on DHA’s Sheryan portal
- Clear cognitive behaviour therapy and primary source verification tests
- Pay fee and register as a professional on the Sheryan portal
- Pass oral exam
- Once registered as a DHA professional, activate license
Documents required for setting up a healthcare facility
- Trade license (if already obtained)
- Ejari (tenancy contract) of the commercial property
- Your facility’s floor plan
- Undertaking letter from the owner
- Document specifying the specialities your facility with offer
- List out the expected number of doctors, nurses, and allied professionals you intend to employ
Procedure of facility license application
- Obtain trade name and initial approval from the Department of Economic Development (DED)
- Sign the LSA and civil work agreement
- Fill online application
- Submit your partner’s documents
- Pay required fees
- Prepare your facility for DHA inspection
- Approved requests are issued with inactive facility license
Once your license is issued, the company needs to register its medical director, the required number of doctors and nurses according to DHA requirements. However, usually, at least one doctor and two nurses have to be hired.
Cost breakdown for professional license
While the self-assessment process is free, you will have to bear expenses for other application formalities and processes. You will have to set aside a budget of approximately AED 7,000 for to get a DHA license in Dubai. Below is the cost breakdown:
|Manual review (required in some cases)||AED 200|
|Primary source verification (PSV)||AED 935 – AED 1,235|
|Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) test||AED 180 – AED 280|
|License activation||AED 4,020 (part time) | AED 1,020 – AED 3,020 (full time)|
|Additional documents||AED 300|
|Oral test||AED 250 – AED 500 (normal) | AED 2,000 (urgent)|
Similarly, the cost for availing a DHA license in Dubai for a healthcare facility depends on the activities your company will conduct. The license specialty clinics such as dermatology and cosmetic and treatments may cost lesser than that of a polyclinic offering several health services under one roof.
The cost to get a Dubai DHA license is approximately AED 9,000 for a specialty clinic offering up to two specialities. Meanwhile, the cost of availing the same permit for a polyclinic would be around AED 15,000 – AED 21,000.
– Manu Paul Kurian, Corporate Advisor